Chef Mike Carey from Vinland Wine, Food and Laughter was live in Studio B to cook up his famous " Corn Soup with Smoked Salmon."
For those of you who want to cook along with Carey on Wednesday, here's the recipe:
Corn Soup with Smoked Salmon
1/2 lb. Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and medium dice
6 ea. Ears of Corn, Shucked and Kernels cut off the cob (Save the Cobs!)
2 tbsp. Grapeseed Oil
2 ea. Shallots, minced
1 ea. Garlic, minced
4 c. Chicken Stock
1 c. Sour Cream or Creme Fraiche
To taste Freshly Ground Black Pepper and Kosher Salt
6 oz. Smoked Salmon, small dice
1 tbsp. Fresh Tarragon, minced
1 tbsp. Fresh Cliantro, minced
Preheat the Oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
1. Place the corn and the potatoes on lightly greased baking sheet and roast until the potatoes are just tender, approximately 20 minutes, but check after about 15. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, place the stock in a medium size stock pot and add the reserved corn cobs. Bring to a boil.
3. After you have taken the corn and potatoes out of the oven and the stock has come to a boil; saute the shallots until soft and glassy. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Using a ladle, add a little of the stock to the saute pan and loosen up any of the tasty brown bits that might have stuck to the pan. Add this to the stock pot and stock.
4. Carefully remove the cobs from the stock pot using tongs. Toss them out.
5. Remove the soup from the heat. Add the corn and potatoes. Using either a handheld burr mixer or a blender, puree the ingredients. After they are well done, add the sour cream (or creme fraiche) and mix into the soup.
6. Immediately ladle soup into warm soup bowls.
Garnish with the salmon, tarragon and cilantro.
Yield: 4 servings
Story Created: Aug 14, 2007 at 12:51 PM PDT
Story Updated: Aug 14, 2007 at 12:56 PM PDT