Recipe from Ernie Gilbert of Ky.
- 1 Tbl canola oil
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef (I use sirloin, but lesser grades are fine.)
- 1/2 large white or yellow diced onion
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 2 10-oz. cans Rotel Festival-style diced tomatoes
- 2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes with garlic and oregano
- 1 can Kuner chili beans with cumin and cayenne in chili sauce
- 1 can black beans (Drain and rinse these beans.)
- 1 Tbl chili powder (Chipotle will make it taste smokier.)
- 1 c. elbow macaroni
- Grated cheddar or Mexican cheese for topping
- Cook beef in the canola oil until browned. Break it up into smaller pieces each time you stir it.
- When it's half done, put in the onion and the peppers. Continue to cook on medium until the beef is completely browned and the vegetables are softened.
- Add the cans of tomatoes, beans and the chili powder. Simmer for 20 minutes more.
This whole process should not take more than 30 minutes or so. Chili is done.
If you like macaroni in your chili, add it when you add the tomatoes etc. The macaroni takes about 15 minutes to cook, so it will cook while the chili simmers.
Add grated cheese on top once the chili is in your bowl.