Investigation: How Safe Is Your Community Pool? - KMPH FOX 26 | Central San Joaquin Valley News Source

Investigation: How Safe Is Your Community Pool?

Posted: Updated:
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KMPH) -

Is that community pool you and your kids are swimming in, safe?

The answer may surprise you.

KMPH News Reporter Erik Rosales' investigation surprised Clovis resident Joe Orosco and his family.

They had been waiting for the pool to reopen at his mobile home complex.

Reporter Erik Rosales asks, "How did it look before?"

Joe Orasco says, "Kind of like a light green."

The gate to his pool was not locked, so he thought it was open and his granddaughter jumped in.

However, when KMPH News Reporter Erik Rosales showed him a recent Fresno County Department of Public Health 'pool inspection report', which found the water did not even contain enough chlorine to register during the test, while the p-h level was off the chart.

Besides the cloudy water, the inspector also says the flow meter was stuck, and skimmer parts were missing, which means the water wasn't being cleaned and filtered as it was supposed to be and the pool was ordered closed.

Joe got his granddaughter out.

Inspector Gary Chugg says, "If someone has diarrhea or something else if they go into the water they can get everyone else sick."

Gary Chugg, is one of a mere 26 Environmental Health inspectors in Fresno County.

Inspectors responsible for some 1,300 community pools outside of apartments, condominiums, hotels and even parks, and that is not all.

Director of Environmental Health for Fresno County, Glenn Allen says, "Our inspectors do a variety of things, everything from consumer food protection, like inspecting restaurants. We do many housing complaints, a lot of trash complaints, you name it. A wide variety, we are busy."

Municipal pools should be inspected twice a year.

A schedule Allen says his inspectors are keeping.

Erik Rosales' investigation found dozens of pools with serious health violations, involving a lack of chlorine, algae, even debris and cloudy water.

Doctors say most people who get sick from bacteria in community pools never report it to the county, resulting in a lack of accurate numbers of illnesses from using public pools.

Inspectors say if you notice a community pool with a problem, report it.

So what can you do to protect yourself, inspectors say before and after swimming in any community pool you should take a shower. Also, if you eat anything around the pool, wash your hands. Most importantly, never swallow any of the water, even a little bit if the chemicals aren't right can get you sick.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Man Who Found Bag Of Cash Celebrates Milestone

    Man Who Found Bag Of Cash Celebrates Milestone

    The Fresno man who found more than $120,000 in cash and gave it back celebrated a milestone Wednesday night.Joe Cornell celebrated 6 months of sobriety!He also graduated from the Salvation Army Rehabilitation program.It's a program that helps both men and woman get off drugs and alcohol with God's help.In May, Cornell found a bag of money, which had fallen off a Brinks armored truck.Cornell says when he found the cash, his first concern was for others who could be hit with a loss.So, he gave...More >>
    The Fresno man who found more than $120,000 in cash and gave it back celebrated a milestone Wednesday night.Joe Cornell celebrated 6 months of sobriety!He also graduated from the Salvation Army Rehabilitation program.It's a program that helps both men and woman get off drugs and alcohol with God's help.In May, Cornell found a bag of money, which had fallen off a Brinks armored truck.Cornell says when he found the cash, his first concern was for others who could be hit with a loss.So, he gave...More >>
  • Crooks Cut Power, Enter Home While Family is Inside

    Crooks Cut Power, Enter Home While Family is Inside

    Your home should be your haven.But now, members of one Madera family are still on edge, after prowlers made their way into their home over the weekend--while they were inside.“We had just finished watching the LEGO movie, when we heard the first knock,” says Tswanna DeLaRosa, who was home with her 12-year-old daughter.Her father was asleep, upstairs. It was around 2:15 a.m. “Not even my friends knock on my door like t...More >>
    Your home should be your haven.But now, members of one Madera family are still on edge, after prowlers made their way into their home over the weekend--while they were inside.“We had just finished watching the LEGO movie, when we heard the first knock,” says Tswanna DeLaRosa, who was home with her 12-year-old daughter.Her father was asleep, upstairs. It was around 2:15 a.m. “Not even my friends knock on my door like t...More >>
  • Smoke From Fire Near Mammoth Pool Is Causing Problems

    Smoke From Fire Near Mammoth Pool Is Causing Problems

    The sky in and around Fresno is filled with smoke from a fire near Mammoth Pool that doubled in size Wednesday.
    More >>
    The sky in and around Fresno is filled with smoke from a fire near Mammoth Pool that doubled in size Wednesday.

    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KMPH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.