Carbon Monoxide From Generator Kills 2, One Hospitalized - KMPH FOX 26 | Central San Joaquin Valley News Source

Carbon Monoxide From Generator Kills 2, One Hospitalized

Posted: Updated:
FRESNO, Calif. (KMPH) -

Two men are dead and a woman remains hospitalized after they were exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning from a gasoline powered generator.

Firefighters say it happened inside a warehouse in Fresno's Tower District.

Darrell Pretzr owns the warehouse and is an advocate for the homeless.

For the last few months, Pretzr said he allowed his friends to stay warm and sleep inside the building.

Tuesday morning he checked on them.

"I looked in back and I saw [one of the men] lying down on the ground in the back," Pretzr said. "Went back and I touched him and shook him and he was stiff. I knew he was gone."

And just a few feet away he found his other friend dead as well.

A woman was also found inside.

She was rushed to the hospital, and is critical, but stable condition, officials said.

Pretzr said he told the two to keep the generator outside.

James Hampton a friend of pair said, "Man, he loved God and had a real heart for people, he will be missed, he will really be missed."

Firefighters say PG&E recently turned off the power to the warehouse and the men might have been concerned about the generators noise during the night and brought it indoors.

Fresno fire fighters say that last year they responded to more than 590 carbon monoxide calls in the city.

They say many don't realize each home must be equipped with a carbon monoxide detector, it's the law.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Fire Season 2014: Oakhurst Area Schools Still Closed

    Fire Season 2014: Oakhurst Area Schools Still Closed

    Some people in Oakhurst have been allowed back into their homes. Hundreds had been forced out after a wildfire in that area burned through over 600 acres.More >>
    Some people in Oakhurst have been allowed back into their homes. Hundreds had been forced out after a wildfire in that area burned through over 600 acres.More >>
  • Ebola Scare In Sacramento

    Ebola Scare In Sacramento

    Officials at the South Sacramento Kaiser Medical Center say they've admitted a patient that may have been exposed to the Ebola virus.Doctors are not confirming that is Ebola.Blood samples have been sent to the Centers for Disease Control to test for Ebola, which may take a few days.More >>
    Officials at the South Sacramento Kaiser Medical Center say they've admitted a patient that may have been exposed to the Ebola virus.Doctors are not confirming that is Ebola.Blood samples have been sent to the Centers for Disease Control to test for Ebola, which may take a few days.More >>
  • FIRE SEASON 2014: Homes and Businesses Destroyed By Oakhurst Fire

    FIRE SEASON 2014: Homes and Businesses Destroyed By Oakhurst Fire

    The fire in Oakhurst has burned 612 acres and is 30% contained. Some evacuation orders have been lifted and people are getting their first look at the damage.
    More >>
    The fire in Oakhurst has burned 612 acres and is 30% contained. Some evacuation orders have been lifted and people are getting their first look at the damage.

    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KMPH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.