"Fight Of The Century": NRA Says It's Coming - KMPH FOX 26 | Central San Joaquin Valley News Source

"Fight Of The Century": NRA Says It's Coming

Posted:

While President Barack Obama announced new Executive Orders and demands of congress on Wednesday concerning new Gun Control rules and ideas, the National Rifle Association had its own message for members and others.

It says "the fight of the century" is coming.  NRA Executive Director Wayne LaPierre sent a message asking for donations.  It read, in part, "I warned you that this day was coming and now it's here.  This is the fight of the century and I need you on board with NRA now more than ever".

President Obama told Congress on Wednesday that it needed to bring back an assault weapons ban that it allowed to expire in 2004, and close the loophole that makes it easier to buy weapons at gun shows.

The president also signed an executive order that toughens background checks for gun buyers, and asked for mandatory background checks for anyone who buys a gun at any venue.

The President's executive order also made funds available for schools to hire extra security personnel.

President Obama didn't mention the NRA by name on Wednesday, but said, "The only way we will be able to change is if their audience, their membership says this time must be different, that this time we must do something to protect our communities and our kids."

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Fire Season 2014: Oakhurst Area Schools Still Closed

    Fire Season 2014: Oakhurst Area Schools Still Closed

    Some people in Oakhurst have been allowed back into their homes. Hundreds had been forced out after a wildfire in that area burned through over 600 acres.More >>
    Some people in Oakhurst have been allowed back into their homes. Hundreds had been forced out after a wildfire in that area burned through over 600 acres.More >>
  • Ebola Scare In Sacramento

    Ebola Scare In Sacramento

    Officials at the South Sacramento Kaiser Medical Center say they've admitted a patient that may have been exposed to the Ebola virus.Doctors are not confirming that is Ebola.Blood samples have been sent to the Centers for Disease Control to test for Ebola, which may take a few days.More >>
    Officials at the South Sacramento Kaiser Medical Center say they've admitted a patient that may have been exposed to the Ebola virus.Doctors are not confirming that is Ebola.Blood samples have been sent to the Centers for Disease Control to test for Ebola, which may take a few days.More >>
  • FIRE SEASON 2014: Homes and Businesses Destroyed By Oakhurst Fire

    FIRE SEASON 2014: Homes and Businesses Destroyed By Oakhurst Fire

    The fire in Oakhurst has burned 612 acres and is 30% contained. Some evacuation orders have been lifted and people are getting their first look at the damage.
    More >>
    The fire in Oakhurst has burned 612 acres and is 30% contained. Some evacuation orders have been lifted and people are getting their first look at the damage.

    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KMPH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.