LA SOCIAL WORKERS-STRIKE
7 arrested at LA County social worker protest
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A protest by Los Angeles County social workers has ended with seven arrests.
Police tell City News Service that four women and three men were arrested Tuesday as hundreds of striking workers protested outside the county Board of Supervisors meeting.
Officer Sara Faden says the social workers were arrested in a planned act of civil disobedience when they refused to leave the area.
About 3,600 workers from the Department of Children and Family Services went on strike last week after contract talks broke down.
The workers are seeking a retroactive raise and a reduced caseload. They want the county to hire hundreds of new workers.
County Chief Executive Officer William Fujioka says the county has about 250 new employees who'll be ready to go within the next few months.
Gas leak that led to fire in California is capped
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) - Officials say a gas main leak that led to an underground fire in Oakland and forced the evacuation of several homes has been capped. No injuries were reported.
Fire officials told the Oakland Tribune the line was capped Tuesday, about three hours after the leak was reported.
Pacific Gas & Electric Co. spokesman Jason King told KRON4-TV the utility responded to the scene and found a 4-inch plastic gas main had ruptured.
At one point television news footage showed flames coming from below the roadway. The fire was near homes located several blocks from Interstate 580.
CALIFORNIA PRISONS-MENTAL HEALTH
Judge: Calif death row lacks care for mentally ill
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A federal judge has ruled that California is providing inadequate treatment to mentally ill inmates on death row, though he's leaving it up to the state to decide how to fix the problem.
U.S. District Judge Lawrence Karlton ordered state officials Tuesday to work with a court-appointed overseer to find solutions. Options include creating a specialized inpatient psychiatric treatment facility at San Quentin State Prison or another prison.
Jeffrey Callison, a spokesman for the state corrections department, said officials are reviewing the order.
Michael Bien, an attorney who represents the welfare of mentally ill inmates, called the judge's ruling "a very significant victory."
The ruling comes as part of an ongoing 23-year lawsuit that has led to sweeping changes in the state prison system, including a sharp reduction in overcrowding.
POLICE TICKET QUOTA
Los Angeles to settle ticket-quota suit for $6M
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Los Angeles will pay nearly $6 million to settle lawsuits by 11 police officers who claimed they were punished for failing to meet or objecting to traffic ticket quotas.
Police Chief Charlie Beck says the City Council on Tuesday approved settlements of two lawsuits brought by current and former officers.
The Los Angeles Times says motorcycle officers in the West Traffic Division claimed they were required to write at least 18 tickets each shift and were reprimanded, denied overtime and given bad schedules if they objected.
Two other officers won $2 million in a separate lawsuit in 2011.
In a statement, Chief Beck says the LAPD has productivity goals for traffic officers but he denies the LAPD has traffic ticket quotas, which are illegal under state law.
BUS STOP CRASH
Driver pleads not guilty in deadly bus stop crash
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP) - A driver who plowed into a Riverside bus stop, killing a woman and a 7-year-old girl, has pleaded not guilty to vehicular manslaughter.
The district attorney's office says 46-year-old Joe D. Williams entered the plea Tuesday to two misdemeanor counts.
Authorities say Williams stopped his Kia sedan at a red light on Dec. 28 of last year and didn't immediately drive off when the light changed.
When motorists behind him honked their horns, Williams accelerated, veered up onto the shoulder of the road and crashed into a light pole and bus bench.
Twenty-eight-year-old Melissa Bernal and 7-year-old Aniya Mitchell were on the bench. They were hit and died at the scene.
The girl's mother and father received serious injuries but survived.
MISSING PATIENT INFO
Calif. hospital missing info on 49,0000 patients
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) - Kaiser Permanente has warned 49,000 patients that a computer flash drive containing some of their private details has gone missing from the Anaheim Medical Center.
The health care provider says the drive was reported missing in September from a secure area of the nuclear medicine department and may have been misplaced.
The drive was a backup that contained unencrypted data on patient names, birth dates and medication details - but not Social Security numbers. Patients were notified of the loss last week.
Kaiser Permanente says there's no reason to believe the information has been used for criminal activity but it's asked patients to review their medical statements to be sure the information hasn't been misused.
SAN FRANCISCO AIRLINER CRASH
NTSB hearing on SF crash now slated for Wednesday
WASHINGTON (AP) - The National Transportation Safety Board says is now planning to hold its hearing Wednesday into the crash-landing of an Asiana jet at San Francisco International Airport that left three Chinese teens dead.
The hearing was originally scheduled as a two-day series of panels Tuesday and Wednesday, but it was postponed due to wintry weather.
The safety board wants to examine whether the Korean airline's pilots were overly reliant on the Boeing 777's computer systems when they approached too low and slow before striking a seawall and tumbling across the runway in July.
The board says the hearing will focus on "pilot awareness in a highly automated aircraft." There are also plans to review the emergency response.
The hearing is now slated to take place Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. at NTSB headquarters.
Calif. man released after arrest for coach calls
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A Los Angeles man who placed prank calls about job openings for prominent professional coaches has been released from jail.
Kenneth Tarr was released on $20,000 bail Tuesday, according to Los Angeles County sheriff's booking records. His next court date is set for Dec. 31.
The 32-year-old Hollywood man was arrested a day earlier and booked on suspicion of felony eavesdropping for recording phone conversations without the consent of the people on the calls, which is illegal in California.
The case had yet to reach the district attorney's office Tuesday.
Los Angeles police said their two-month investigation includes coaches from across pro sports.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.